Sentiment analysis and Alteryx #AYXAdvocacyAmplified

Sentiment analysis in Alteryx
Alteryx is a great platform to run some analytics, in a graphical and easy-to-explain format. One thing I've been experimenting with lately is natural language processing.

In the above workflow I'm leveraging the built-in #rstats environment to scrape data from a financial analyst's report.

Using Alteryx's built-in data cleansing and reporting tools, I then re-shaped and pivoted the data for further processing.

Sometimes people ask, #rstats (aka the "R programming language") or #Python? The answer is: "Why choose, when you can have both?" In the example above, I'm then processing the data with a Python script which leverages the open source VADER library. Although more appropriate with social media inputs, I'm experimenting with this sentiment analysis library before moving on to other libraries.

I then take the data back out into a scatterplot provided by #rstats



The box plot above is basically saying that overall, this document had a positive sentiment. Lo and behold ... drilling in to the actual paragraphs fed in to the analyser I can see that phrases that included the words "net loss on investments" and "IRR of the Company was a sham" caused the paragraphs to be identified as negative (the < 0 VADER_score and a predicted_sentiment = 1.0).

My analysis still needs some more work, but with the above, I hope that I can demonstrate two of the unique selling propositions with Alteryx: (1) interacting with code that is written in both R and Python in a visual workflow that can be explained to non-technical audience (2) developing workflows in a rapid and iterative method. This trivial example above was pulled together in <15 minutes by building on reusable components.

In the fast-paced world we live in, minimising "time taken to solve" a particular analytical challenge is key, especially when we need to move on to the next challenge!

I'm now going to explore other NLP technologies and sentiment analysis tools other than VADER! Good luck with yours, and feel free to reach out to me at @izamryan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Define: artificial intelligence

Inductive vs Deductive approaches #statisticalThinking @muralCo #imagine2020

Can you do this analysis in Tableau?